Thursday, February 2, 2012

Black Butte Porter by Deschutes Brewery



Hello boys and girls,

I know it’s been a while since I last published a review, but with Pope Crisco leading the National Hockey League in goals, assists, and in plus/minus ratings, he has little time to review beer. You might point out that these are just stats in EA Sports NHL 12, the leading hockey simulation game for the PS3 and Xbox, but I still feel like that’s progress in my life.  I guess that’s pretty sad, when you think about it in the terms of the highlight of a grown man’s life.

Perhaps if I told you that I bought a set of sweet ass Marvel Comics pint glasses that would make me seem more awesome?



No? Oh well.

Aside from video game hockey and super hero laden glassware, I do have an interview tomorrow with a law firm for a paralegal position, so with a little luck and even more charm, I will have a light out from the tunnel of the hell known as employment in a call center as a Customer Service Representative.

Tonight, as a precursor to pizza, more beer, and television watching with my wife, I am drinking Deschutes Brewery’s Black Butte Porter (and thanks to the image of Hulk on the glass, beer drinker The Thing is staying at bay).



The beer pours out a nice, dark, black hue, and easily forms a thick, tan head.  As impressively as the head forms, it quickly dissipates to a dimes width before drinking, and ultimately dies to a slight film while sipping away at the beverage.  Lacing is minimal at best.

The aroma of toffee is strong, with a warm, bready accent. As well slight chocolate note and floral hops are detected.

The first flavor to hit the palate is a sharp coffee like bitterness, but is quickly cut by sweet, malty, chocolate and toffee flavors, creating an easily drinkable, well-balanced beer.

For this style of beer, the only thing I think this brew lacks is body, which I would put on the thin side for a porter.

 Overall the beer is very decent, well balanced, and whets my appetite for more varietals from this brewery.

Prost!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...