Friday, February 3, 2012

Shiner Wild Hare by Spoetzl Brewery





Hello readers,

Well, to quote the words of the immortal Ice Cube, today was a good day, with everything from the “breakfast with no hog” to the fact I didn’t have to shoot my A-K, and stopping just shy of seeing the Goodyear Blimp indicating that, in fact, I am a pimp.

Despite a short, and not very inspiring, job interview I had at noon, the rest of the day was filled with purchasing a nice selection of craft beer, eating some of the best Thai food I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying, and now I am enjoying a “Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ale,” the 103rd beer from the Spoetzl Brewery, in Shiner, Texas.

The beer pours out a nice light amber hue with lots of active carbonation. Thanks to an aggressive pour, the thick and strong, off-white head formed.   Lacing was decent, and much more prominent than Shiner’s standard fare.

The smell of yeast is most outstanding from the freshly poured beverage, while a nice medium-bodied bouquet of floral hops augments the malt forwardness.

Just as the aroma of floral hops was not over powering, the bitterness and floral hop characteristics came off as medium-bodied in taste.  Combined with a mild malt backend and crisp finish, this beer is easily drinkable and enjoyable for, I assume, most beer friendly palates.



Wild Hare, in my humble opinion, is bringing Shiner’s offerings closer to the quality of a really good brewery. Currently I feel that the beers are only “okay” and only really preferred over the macro-produced beers they are pitted against in most Texas convince stores.

Prost!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...