Saturday, January 31, 2009

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake


It's been a nice morning in my household. Woke up about 6 did some dishes, made some hot tea, and filled the bowl of my Savinelli Sharewood Rock briar with a healthy load of Luxury Twist Flake.
Right now, as I smoke, I am listening to Mingus Plays Piano, probably one of my top five favorite albums of all time for any genre, and Fischer is at my feet, sleeping, which is odd for he usually sleeps in the living room, which is a much softer and warm place.

Before i get into the smoke itself, I want to comment on the cut of the tobacco, which is as the name states, flake tobacco. Now for those that don't smoke, pipe tobaccos come primarily in ribbon and plug cuts. Ribbon as the name implies, come in small ribbons, and looks like cigarette tobacco. Plug tobacco is formed by applying heat and pressure to the weed, pressing it into a cube of tobacco. Flake is produced by cutting that block into sheets (flake is also known as sheet) about the width of a dime. To fill a pipe with flake it is generally rubbed out into smaller pieces and packed into the pipe as a ribbon cut would be, but the individual strands have more density.

This is the first flake tobacco I've tried, and I really like the way it smokes. It seems to last much longer and smoke a touch cooler than ribbon cut tobaccos. It also stays lit without much work. I let it sit for a good 2 minutes and I didn't even have to relight it to keep it going. I love the tactual quality as I prepare it for smoking, and unlike ribbon, I think it looks fucking beautiful.

It did have a little bite and a lot of moister when i starting smoking, but I would attribute that to puffing too fast when I initially lit up.

After three bowls I have nothing but praise for this mild tasting tobacco. Tasting the tobacco without pulling the smoke through my nose it stays pretty unflavorful from beginning to end, so much that i cannot discern any flavors, but it sings going through the nose. The first half of the bowl has a rich coffee and coco note with a nice pepper/spice finish, reminding me of a Cuban Partaga Short. At the midway point to the bottom of the bowl it mellows out and has a nice "tobacco" flavor with a hint of the pepper continuing to the end.

The room note seems mild. Hard to tell with my wife unable to comment as she enjoys a bath.

I love this smoke. Took me a good hour and forty-five minutes to finish.
I am finding a lot of good stuff in Virginias that I missed out on when I first starting smoking pipes. I'll have to try more plug and Virgina tobaccos in 09.

Happy smoking.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...