Monday, May 9, 2011

Green Man Legendary Ales IPA




Last weekend, to celebrate the marriage of two friends, I found myself in Asheville, NC, and picked up a few growlers from local breweries for sampling of the local flavor while in the comfort of my more southern abode. Having visited their brewery, I thought it most appropriate to start with the Green Man IPA this Sunday afternoon.

Sadly, as I poured from the half gallon vessel, there was a significant lack of carbonation in the beverage, resulting in an almost nonexistent head, despite multiple attempts to pour vigorously into my pint glass. Some CO2 bubbles can be seen rising to the top of my pint, but still very few and far between. 


The beverage itself was a nice, clear amber.

Taking a whiff of the ale, which I will assume is lacking in part due to the lack of a nice head, is light, and hoppy with hints of grapefruit.

The first sip is nice, malty with apricot notes, with a pronounced grapefruit zest backend that predominated the drinking experience. The bitterness starts out mild, but becomes a bit more pronounced the more I drank.

I wish the beer was presented in a more optimum state for this review, but since the closest growler of this beverage is about 3.5 hours away, the follow up review will have to wait till my next trip to the upstate (which might be as soon as November if I have my way).  Given the lack of carbonation, I can only project that in its optimum state, would be a nice IPA, but not really breaking the mold on what can be purchased nationwide.  

Prost!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...