Thursday, August 11, 2011

Shiner Kosmos Reserve by the Spoetzl Brewery



To quote the immortal words of the artist Ice Cube, despite that this mornings breakfast had hog, “it was a good day.”

I started off the day after a long, uninterrupted night of sleep, followed by my favorite meal of breakfast burritos, and a deluge of phone calls from prospective employers.  At 5 I have a total of 3 in person interviews, an in depth phone interview, and pending to schedule another interview based off a phone interview completed today.

Throw in a decent cigar, and the prospect of pasta for dinner, and I am a happy fellow. What could make this better? Well, a good beer, obviously.

Forgetting about this one in the back of the fridge at the beginning of July I pulled a bottle of Shiner Kosmos Reserve by the Spoetzl Brewery, which the bottle defined as a “hop-jacked lager.”

Pouring the beer, again in the Shiner pint glass described in my last beer review, it looks like a lager. There is deep straw color that struggles to retain a slight white head, but is about with a lot of active carbonation lifting from the bottom of the glassware.

The aroma is nice and warm with a lot of bread and yeast notes in a primarily malt forward nose. 

With a dry mouth feel the palate is greeted with a wonderfully complex mixture of fruit notes on the front end. Hints of generic citrus with what I can best describe as an apple or pear flavor make a light and varied flavor with a light malt backend.

I might question whether I would call Shiner a craft brewery, and I still am hesitant to try or promote some of their varietals, but they definitely can craft very good, approachable beer.

Well,  I wont be surprised if I see that the lights of the Goodyear Blimp reads that Pope Crisco is a pimp after such a good day, more beer is always on the horizon.

Prost!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...