Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Teche Brewing Co LA-31 and Convington's Bayou Bock (I Think These Beers Were Brewed With Swamp Water)



During my stop in Louisiana last week, as well as enjoying the locally crafted Abita beers, I picked up a couple six packs of locally produced brews not available to myself previously and likely not found out of the state, Bayou Teche Brewing company’s LA-31 Pale Ale, and Convington’s Bayou Bock. (Other than being somewhat limited in availability, also the prospect of being sober for a week while staying with in laws prompted me to sample these locally crafted beers.)


Most intrigued with the selection from Bayou Teche, based on the recent winning of sliver in the “World Beer Championship” (whatever or whoever that is) per the Advocate newspaper based out of Lafayette, LA It was the first of the two local beers to be popped. .

True to the style, the beer poured a clear, light amber color, and formed a light, white head that dissipated quickly after being poured.

The Aroma of the beer was malt forward with a slightly bitter backend that reminded me of a macro pilsner with a touch more depth.

Taking the first sips, the beverage was respectable, although not spectacular, with medium bodied caramel maltiness and a sharp bitterness that reminded me of a raw hop or pine flavors.  Once I stopped drinking for a moment, though, a pronounced acrid aftertaste developed that detracted from the drinking enjoyment.

If I had a choice between this or any other nationally available pale ale, this would be far from my second, third or even fourth choice. I guess there is no accounting for taste.




While the first beer of the trip was less than I had expected, the second, the Convington Bayou Bock, was well below my expectations of even a macro lager.

The beverage pours out a slightly cloudy, straw color, which is a bit light for a traditional bock, and fails to form any significant head.

Also at odds with a bock beer, the nose is very bitter and astringent in a manner of a lemon or grapefruit that has turned south of ripe. This lacking introduction is indicative of the beverage itself , failing to meet the malt forward criteria of the bock, and bock varients, style.

I rarely say to avoid a beer outright, but this is one of those beers that exceeds that distinction.  If you’re willing to pay to have it shipped to you, I am happy to mail you the last bottle. You can email me at intoxicobeer@gmail.com to work out the logistics.

Happy Drinking,
Pope Crisco 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...